Free Webinar, Tuesday 19th July, 11:30am BST
Developments in advanced nuclear technologies (ANTs), and particularly in small modular reactor (SMR) design, are frequently defined as “game changing”.
Understanding quite how those “changes” affect investment decisions can be complex, particularly in a global energy sector that is experiencing immense uncertainty, risk and opportunities driven by national energy security concerns, global supply and price volatility, climate change and net zero targets.
Organisations that are considering investing in, supporting or working with ANTs are faced with a great deal of complexity and uncertainty.
This free webinar aims to clarify some key issues investors need to take into account. It will help organisations understand some of the important questions they need to ask in order to clarify decision making and reduce uncertainty.
Prospect Law’s nuclear energy specialists will highlight key considerations in nuclear regulation and licensing, nuclear waste management, and risk and liability:
Regulatory and licensing considerations
- Are the current national legislative and regulatory systems capable of dealing with advanced nuclear technologies?
- What are the comparisons between countries with established nuclear power plants and those newcomer countries with no nuclear heritage?
- What is the process for developing new, fit-for-purpose legislative and regulatory frameworks?
Radioactive waste considerations
- Has sufficient account been taken by the vendor and the customer on what to do with the radioactive nuclear waste and spent fuel?
- Have financial and technical aspects of decommissioning and spent fuel management been adequately addressed?
- Will any designs generate novel waste forms which may compromise repository safety?
Risk and liability considerations
- Will the current nuclear third party liability regimes need to change to accommodate advanced nuclear technology?
- How will these technologies measure up against current technology for susceptibility to insurance claims, security, cyber or terror threats?
- Will the risk profile allow public opinion to accept advanced nuclear technologies?
David joined Prospect Law in 2021 having worked as a Senior Legal Counsel for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA). He has a strong understanding of the nuclear regulatory landscape, and the dynamics of government and stakeholder relationships. [...read full profile]
John has over 40 years’ experience in the nuclear industry, primarily involved in radioactive waste management and decommissioning. He worked with the IAEA and the European Commission, participating in expert missions and advisory groups. [...read full profile]
Mark has previously served as the Managing Director of the Power, Nuclear & Construction division at Lloyd’s insurance broker Price Forbes & Partners. Prior to that he was Managing Director of Nuclear Risk Insurers Ltd. [...read full profile]
The webinar will start at 11:30 BST for one hour.
During the presentations you'll be able to submit questions to the speakers which will be answered in the Q&A at the end of the session.
This webinar is free to attend
Nuclear Regulation and Licensing Considerations
Nuclear Waste Considerations
Nuclear Risk Management Considerations
We look forward to an insightful session and an opportunity to share your questions. Please register your interest using the form below and we will share joining instructions in due course.